As General Counsel, plans and directs all aspects of Childhelp’s legal affairs and ensures all business policies and activities are managed correctly and in compliance with current laws; reviews changes to law and regulations and advises management about any impact to the business; provides guidance and counsel to management on business transactions and initiatives; leads the defense of the organization in lawsuits and the prosecution of lawsuits on behalf of the organization against others; ensures that all Childhelp communications, contracts, documents, filings and press releases undergo a legal review; and may engage and coordinate with outside counsel for certain matters.
As VP, Government Affairs, plans and directs Childhelp’s policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs to include maintaining and nurturing relationships with government, associated authorities and all committees, and legislatively represents and protects organization interests; assists in the establishment of corporate strategies, policies and plans, which align with government laws, regulations and standards; leads analysis of proposed legislative actions, determines the potential impact on the organization, and develops appropriate responses; and monitors legislative and regulatory activities promoting Childhelp’s position.
This position has non-supervisory level direct reports.
As member of the executive team, develops the strategic direction and implementation plan for the legal and government affairs functions in support of corporate objectives and to drive organizational value.
With a focus on leadership, mission, vision, culture, strategy, best practices and continuous improvement, performs the following:
- Leads and directs the planning, analysis, scoping, development and execution of the legal, government affairs; and public policy functions
- Monitors current business demands for legal and government affairs work and consultation to determine the functional sets necessary to support ongoing business operations and support current/future initiatives
- Ensures that technical and quality standards are established, documented, maintained and enforced across each functional area and compliance with all federal, state, local, licensing, grants, and other applicable regulatory and/or program requirements to include audit readiness
- Leads and directs the department’s resource planning and allocation for optimal capacity, utilization and performance
- Has budget responsibilities including the development, implementation, and attainment of established outcomes
- Maintains current knowledge of industry trends, direction, opportunities and applicability as it relates to Childhelp
In collaboration with HR, develops and executes a plan for retaining and developing talent to meet current and future business objectives to include:
- Engaging in the annual leadership talent review and supporting subordinate leaders in conducting departmental talent review evaluations
- Collaborating with direct reports on their professional development and growth
- Developing leadership succession plans for the department
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Childhelp’s cultural values and performance principles, company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include:
- Actively participating in the interviewing and hiring processes and ensuring successful functional on-boarding of new employees
- Planning, assigning and directing work for direct reports
- Setting reasonable stretch performance goals, providing constructive, balanced, regular performance feedback, and conducting annual performance appraisals
- Recognizing and rewarding performance excellence
- Communicating and enforcing company policies and programs
- Applying corrective action, addressing complaints and resolving problems in a timely fashion, involving and collaborating with leadership and Human Resources as appropriate
Performs the following personally or through subordinate employees:
- Evaluates, negotiates, and handles all legal issues to promote and protect the organization’s rights and fulfill its responsibilities to include:
- Providing legal counsel in connection with licensing and contracts
- Monitors and resolves disputes which may lead to litigation
- Providing legal counsel and advice concerning compliance with federal and state statutes and regulations
- Reviews, provides input on legal aspects of all contracts as part of the contract review process
- Serves as Compliance Officer providing leadership to the internal compliance committee, in development and maintenance of compliance program, and serves as compliance liaison to the board compliance committee.
- Promote laws, legislation and public policy wherever needed to promote the mission and goals of Childhelp
- Attend events and governmental hearings on behalf of the Founders
- Performs other related duties, as assigned
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and in good standing in all jurisdictions in that/those state/s; if not in AZ, must be eligible to gain AZ license through reciprocity
- Minimum of five years of legal experience delivering legal services to or within a complex organizational structure
- Minimum of three years previous management/leadership experience
- Previous experience with government affairs
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate
- Knowledge of contract law, financial/business analysis techniques, the judicial system and procedures, and legal documentation procedures and requirements
- Understanding of local and state governments
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening communication skills so as to effectively communicate with various stakeholders inside and outside of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills with the ability to develop and deliver presentations to potential donors, boards of directors, and a variety of stakeholders
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work in high-pressure situations
- Proficient in the use of a PC in a Windows environment; in the use of the Internet; and in the use of MS Office Applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to demonstrate a personal work ethic of consistency, accountability, achievement and persistence that help to model a healthy workplace environment
- Ability to understand and solve problems by applying advanced analytical skills to include collecting, integrating and analyzing all relevant data and information and reduce that information down to manageable components and/or charts, diagrams or graphs; identifying a number of solutions to complex problems integrating findings from several different disciplines, identifying and evaluating the various options developed and selects the most effective
solution; drawing logical and objective conclusions from the data and validates them as the prime cause and contributing causes; identifying a number of solutions to the problem by identifying and evaluating the various options developed and selects the most effective solution.
View additional requirements and preferences in attachment.