POSITION DESCRIPTION: Working as a member of a proposal team responsible for developing and submitting proposals for Government and/or commercial projects, creates compliant, compelling responses to requirements for technical and/ management approaches, as well as some plans associated with the proposal (e.g., Quality Assurance/Quality Control, Program/Project Management, Risk Management, Security, Staffing), and executive summaries in proposal documents.
· Reads Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Requests for Information (RFIs) and determines information required to develop and deliver a compliant proposal response for technical or management approaches, various plans, and executive summary sections of proposals.
· Reviews proposal outlines and/or storyboards for guidance and develops content as required by outlines/storyboards under the direction of the Proposal Manager. Identifies errors, omissions, or inconsistencies in outlines and/or storyboards and brings them to the attention of the Proposal Manager for resolution.
· Reviews the client company’s win themes and discriminators and identifies where these themes/discriminators can be supported in the technical, management approach, and/or executive summary sections of the proposal.
· Using the Internet, performs research as necessary to identify information to support proposal development with respect to technical and management approaches and data/statistics that support these approaches and the content of the executive summary. Works with the client company and teaming partners to ensure accuracy of information gathered and presented.
· Through understanding of requirements and information needed to complete documents, develops interview questions for client company and teaming partner SMEs to draw out information needed to fully develop the technical and management approach sections of the proposal response.
· Interviews subject matter experts (SMEs) and other personnel (e.g., Finance, Human Resources) to gather required information.
· Gathers information on various elements of technical and management approaches needed to write proposal text through iterative process of interviews/questions and development of draft materials, including tables and charts, for review by SMEs. Works with SMEs to understand the technical solution being offered and the features and benefits of this solution to the customer.
· Using contents of technical and management approaches and client company’s win strategy, drafts executive summary for review by Capture Manager, Proposal Manager, and higher-level executives within the client company as required.
· Reviews writer’s templates to ensure compliance with requirements, and develops content that is compliant, cohesive, and persuasive.
· Obtains graphics that demonstrate the capabilities of the client company and teaming partners for the technical and management approach sections of the document. Works with SMEs to validate graphical information and develops new graphics concepts where no graphical representation exists. Works with Proposal Coordinator or Production staff to ensure graphics are mastered for reinsertion.
· Gathers proof statements to substantiate claims made in the technical and management approach sections. Creates graphics, tables, and/or text boxes to showcase proof statements where they are relevant within the technical and management approach statements of the proposal.
· Develops features and benefits statements highlighting the benefits to the customer of the company’s offering and answering the question, “Why ABC Company?” for the executive summary as well as the technical and management approach sections.
· Performs quality control check on assigned sections, inserting correct figure call-outs and numbers, section/subsection headings, and RFP references (L, M, C) in section/subsection headings. Inserts references to RFP attachments (e.g., Appendices, Section J Attachments, formal plans) and FAR references.
· Prepares assigned proposal sections for proposal reviews and participates in proposal review team meetings.
· Makes corrections to documents based on reviewers’ comments. Continues to mature documents up to “pens down” for final production.
· Brings to the attention of the Proposal Manager any deficiencies in proposal content that are non-compliant, incomplete, or lacking in proof points with respect to capabilities and/or past performance and qualifications of personnel in order to ensure a compliant and compelling proposal.
· Adheres to proposal schedules established by the Proposal Manager and meets required deadlines.
· Uses proposal style guide to ensure consistent writing and terminology in proposal sections. Researches and defines acronyms and verifies correct word usage, spelling, and punctuation through use of automated systems and/or style guide to the extent possible in advance of formal editing.
· Uses electronic systems to develop and maintain proposal documents (Microsoft Office Suite, primarily MS Word, MS Excel, and SharePoint).
· 5-9 years of experience writing technical and/or management approach sections of proposals, various proposal plans, and executive summaries.
· Experience with translating requirements in RFPs and RFIs into compliant responses for technical and management approach sections, various proposal plans, and executive summaries.
· Experience with developing assigned proposal sections in accordance with established proposal timeframes.
· Experience performing Internet research to locate relevant statistical/proof point data.
· Experience with interviewing SMEs and other personnel to obtain information needed to complete technical and management approach proposal sections and various plan sections, with experience providing draft documents and graphics for SME review and discussion to ensure understanding of concepts or solutions.
· Experience with the proposal review process and making corrections to existing text.
· Demonstrated persuasive writing skills, including insertion of win strategy statements, proof points, text boxes, and features/benefits information as needed throughout the various proposal sections.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel). Experience with SharePoint desired.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (business, communications).
· Emerging subject matter expertise in one or more areas (e.g., Information Technology, Professional Services).
· Ability to write simple transition plans using MS Project a plus.